Cannabis edibles are a fun and exciting way to try cannabis, whether you’re a first-time user or a seasoned toker. However, edibles are nothing to trifle with and it’s critical that you buy from a trusted source and consume responsibly. Here’s what you need to know.
Table of Contents
Massachusetts’ Cannabis Laws
Although Massachusetts has now made cannabis consumption legal for recreational users over the age of 21, similar to many other states, there are still several laws that must be followed:
● You need to be 21+ to purchase cannabis products in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts
● You must be able to present a valid, current, non-expired government-issued identification card or driver’s license
● Your ID must be in good condition and legible; it may not have cracks, peeling laminate, or other defects
What You Can Buy and Possess
● You can purchase and possess up to one (1) ounce of cannabis flower on your person and up to five (5) grams of cannabis concentrate
● Massachusetts can only sell edibles in servings of 5 mg of THC, and each recreational buyer may only purchase up to 20 servings at a time, for a total of 100 mg of THC per edibles purchase.
● You may not have an open container of cannabis in your vehicle while driving; when transporting cannabis, it must be in the trunk, locked glove compartment, or a sealed container
● You may not operate your vehicle under the influence of cannabis
● You may not consume cannabis in public
What to Expect When Purchasing Cannabis Edibles in Massachusetts
When you visit dispensaries that offer edibles in Massachusetts, you may be overwhelmed at the selection available. There seems to be no limit to the different types of products manufacturers are making nowadays. When buying edibles, you may want to take a look at the dispensary’s menu online if they have one (most do) before making your purchase. Or, you can ask a guide what they recommend.
Since most edibles use THC distillate, you won’t need to pay as much attention to what strain or type of cannabis is used in the edible; instead, buy the type of snack or treat you like to eat. Generally, a 50 mg chocolate bar is going to have the same effect as 50 mg of gummies, so don’t worry too much about strength, strain, or terpenes like you would if you were purchasing flower or concentrates.
How to Use Cannabis Edibles Safely
Cannabis edibles can be extremely powerful, to the point of potentially inducing a hallucinogenic (and usually very uncomfortable) experience if consumed in excess. The best rule of thumb when consuming cannabis edibles is to go low and slow.
It takes approximately two hours to feel the effects of a single dose of edibles, so it’s important to be careful not to overdo it. If a single 5mg dose doesn’t bring about the desired level of elevation, wait a few hours before trying again and only increase your dose by a small amount. Repeat until you find your personal ideal edible dosage.
Where to Buy Cannabis Edibles in Massachusetts
Dispensaries in Massachusetts have an excellent selection of high-quality cannabis edibles from trusted brands like Cresco, Fernway, Levia, Mindi’s Edibles, and more. Contact your local dispensary to learn more about purchasing or consuming cannabis edibles in your corner of MA.